Here’s a fresh salad with just a few simple ingredients that pack a lot of flavor. The subtle flavor from the shallots with the tartness of both the pomegranate and oranges, all topped with hazelnuts, is delicious.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil or hazelnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 pomegranate
- In a medium bowl, whisk the balsamic, shallots, and honey to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the mixed greens in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Mound the greens on plates and surround them with the orange segments.
- Sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Drizzle with any remaining vinaigrette around the salads. Scatter pomegranate seeds over the top.
Here’s a quick trick to get the seeds out of the pomegranate: Hold a cut pomegranate half over a bowl and smack it with a wooden spoon. They pop right out!