While the warm months are here and the sun is staying up later, I love to use my barbeque to grill up dinner! Here is an unexpected recipe to cook pizza on the grill. Follow these cooking instructions with you favorite ingredients and you’ll be sure to have a new favorite outdoor meal! This is also a great one for the kids to get excited and help with creating their own masterpiece pizzas! The trick is, once the pizza dough is flipped, get the sauce (if you choose to use pizza sauce) and toppings on quickly and then shut the lid to melt the cheese!
- Pizza dough (I like the whole wheat dough from Trader Joes, but your favorite pizza shop will most likely sell you a lump of dough if you ask.)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (This keeps the dough from sticking to the grill and gives you the nice crispy base for the pizza.)
- Pizza sauce (This is optional! I have made pizzas with no sauce and also used Alfredo sauce or barbeque sauce. Create your own unique pizza!)
- Shredded Cheese (Again, this can be left off if you prefer. I like to use mozzarella or an Italian blend for most pizzas)
More Optional Ingredients:
- Grilled ham
- Pineapple chunks
- Any other toppings you enjoy
Here’s the how to:
- Pre-heat your barbeque! You want it nice and hot, but not so big that the flames are touching the grill. Medium heat seems to do well, but you will find your own sweet spot.
- Stretch out your pizza dough to a circle-like shape. (No need to be a stickler on this; my pizzas turn out more rectangular or oval-shaped.)
- Brush one side of the dough with olive oil and lay it face down on the grill so it crisps up just a bit. You can leave the grill open and when you see the first bubbles start to form, it’s time to flip! Brush the other side with olive oil before you flip your dough so it grills up nicely and doesn’t stick to the barbeque.
- After flipping, the key is to add sauce and toppings quickly and get the lid shut to cook. Have your toppings ready next to the grill, in order to construct your pizza quickly. Then shut the lid and let it cook until all the cheese is melted.
Let pizza cool slightly; then slice it up to enjoy your unique barbeque creation!