Taking your kids to the beach can be super fun, but also really messy! After packing up sand toys, sea shells, and wet, sandy swim suits, everything from your beach bags to your car is covered in sand.
So when I came across this idea for using window screen material to make bags that sand would fall through, my mind went in so many directions. The great thing about this project is it is super inexpensive. You can use any scrap fabrics and embellishments, and you can make the bags any size you like, it’s super easy! So get out your old sewing box, head to the home improvement store, and let your creativity take over!
You can make them any size you like, but I will give you the measurements for the “Sand Toys” bag.
What you will need:
- 16-inch x 16-inch square piece of window screen material (A roll can be purchased at a home improvement store for about $5.00, and can make about 3 bags)
- 31 inches of extra wide double-fold bias tape, in your choice of color
- 10-inch x 10-inch square piece of fabric (oil cloth would work great for a wet swim suit bag!)
- Rectangular piece of linen fabric, whatever size you would like, for stamping your message or design
- 2 21-inch pieces of wide ribbon
- Buttons, flowers, ribbons, bows, anything you would like to attach to your bag
- Letter or picture stamps
- Fabric paint
- Measure and cut out the 2 pieces of screen material, one square piece of fabric and one rectangle piece of linen.
- Take one of the screen pieces and your square fabric. Pin the fabric to the center of the screen piece and sew in place.
- Decide what you would like to stamp on your bag. Get all of your stamps in place. Stamp out your message or pictures on the linen. Using a paint brush to paint your stamp then pressing it on the fabric works best.
- After your paint dries, sew the linen on the square fabric, anywhere you like! At this point, add any other embellishments you want to your bag.
- Now, turn your screen piece over so that it is fabric side down and lay it on the other piece of screen material. You should see the back side of your fabric. Sew the two screen pieces together on the sides and bottom, leaving the top open.
- Turn the bag inside out. Now your fabric should be facing out.
- Pin your bias tape around the top of the bag. Sew in place.
- Take your 2 ribbon pieces and on each end, fold in about 1/2 inch and sew in place to prevent fraying.
- Take one piece of ribbon, and measuring from the top front of the bag from the left, place one side of your ribbon about 5 inches in. Pin it, then sew it in place. Repeat for the other side of the ribbon, measuring 5 inches in from the right, creating one handle.
- Turn your bag around and repeat step 9 on the back side of the bag, creating your second handle.
- Fill with your beach stuff and expect compliments!